Thursday, June 11, 2009

To dye for

I had to teach the peeps at work a new skill, and you'd think I was teaching them quantum physics. More than one person mentioned needing a drink after work. I really felt bad for the girl who quit smoking on Monday. Bad timing. What happens when you smoke with the "patch"? I don't want to know....So I told them I'd bring them treats on Friday to make them feel better.

I've been looking for a reason to make these cupcakes for a while. It's only overdraft fee reversals, but still a good reason to self medicate! I also love anything "rainbow". I'd put a rainbow sticker on my car, but that would be counterproductive to my hopes of dating a man in the near future. Anyhoo, I think I first saw these on The Courteous Chihuahua blog, but if not, oh, well. Shout out! Check out her Face in Hole blog. FUNNY!

I used a vanilla cake mix and just four colors of regular food coloring. I was tempted to buy the neon, though.

Separate the batter into as many colors as you want, I guess? Blue is the least appetizing color, by the way. But in cupcakes? Who gives a sh*t? I went a little heavy on the dye. "You can always add, but you can't take away" is my mantra. I was feeling frisky, though.
(you can set your bowls right side up, but sideways works for me)


YUM! Finger paints!! I started with using the "2 spoon method". Don't cross your streams!!! You don't want to taint the bowls of colors. If you drop the colors in one by one, quickly, that works almost better, and faster. The batter is thick enough that it doesn't really spread too fast.


I frosted them with lemon flavored frosting, just for added punch. I just took one bite, then threw the rest away. {hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! *wipes tears from eyes*} Gotta go lie down now...the sugar rush is killing me!

8 comments:

MJS said...

Please explain why we didn't make THESE when I was there. You know, instead of cleaning the garage and making the jacked up birthgraday cake?

You nephew took one look and said, "Oo! Is this CakeWrecks?!" Which I think is supposed to be a compliment?

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

They looked so much more apetising until you bit into it and revealed the weird internal mess of colour. I'd still eat them though... it's just colour right? (does food dye have a distinct taste?)

beachmom said...

I have to hide this picture from my daughter until after school today ... she will be BEGGING for these!!

Ice Queen said...

I'm gonna try it...but mine will come out the color of mud.

jillers said...

i am SOO going to do these with audi!!!

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Those are cuteness, and I like the lemon-flavored frosting idea! I have some neon food coloring. I might have to try that.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, thanks for showing those. Now, all I can think about it eating some delicious cupcakes! I don't like anything chocolate so these would be perfect for my taste. I will have to make those for Taylor's 2nd birthday or something. Oh, the rainbow sticker comment made me crack up! Too funny.

♥ Braja said...

Holy crap, they're the most exciting little cupcakes I ever saw!!!

About Me